POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Animation Plug-In - Textures? : Re: Animation Plug-In - Textures? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation Plug-In - Textures?
From: Alexander Enzmann
Date: 13 Jun 2000 10:01:36
Message: <39464050.D1992B8F@mitre.org>
How Camp wrote:

> Being relatively new to the Animation Plug-In, I'm looking for some
> information:
>
> Is it possible to animate textures?  For example, changing the phase
> variable for water motion, or replacing a color in a colormap?  How about
> switching textures on an object partway through the animation?

A specific list of what can be animated in textures is in the docs:
  - Animation of textures is partially complete.  The following texture
information
    will be keyed:
      Solid colors used in pigments and media (the <r,g,b,f,t> value)
      Transforms
      Finish
      Noise modifiers

  Note that only textures (or individual components of textures) that
are named
  will be keyed.

So, if the "phase" you are refering to is part of a noise modifier, you
can key it.  Note that you need to provide a name to anything you want
to key.

> Otherwise, it looks as if the plug-in will only allow you to translate,
> rotate, and scale an object, and textures cannot be altered.  The obvious
> workaround would be to define a new texture on a copy of an object, I
> suppose, and translate it into place at the appropriate time.  But for water
> animation, this would not be feasable.

Named textures can be keyframed.  Not everything is in place that I
would like to get done, for example it would be nice to key some of the
values in color maps.  Just takes time.

Xander